I was making some mods to an old ASP .NET web app today when I discovered that I could no longer properly debug it – when I started the debugger, VS2005 would launch IE8 and load the app but would then just detach and exit debug mode! I have been running IE8 for a few months now and figured that the problem might have something to do with IE8 and sure enough it did!!
I found this excellent post which details a simple fix for the problem – I can now happily debug again! It seems that the fix prevents IE8 from spreading itself across multiple processes this was confusing the poor VS2005 debugger..